The MIMIC-III database will be periodically updated as more data becomes available, as data linkage and extraction methods improve, and when the community provides feedback regarding the database content. To ensure transparency in this process, updates to the database will be made in batch, and the version number of the MIMIC-III database will be updated. This page lists the current version, and all previous versions which have existed, in sequential, reverse chronological order. Each version will address a finite set of updates which are tracked using a unique issue number, usually of the form #100, #101, etc.
Note that the changes between MIMIC-II and MIMIC-III are not listed here, due to the large number of differences between the databases. A separate document has been provided for that purpose here. The release notes for MIMIC-II versions is available here.
The current version of the database is v1.4. When referencing this version, we recommend using the full title: MIMIC-III v1.4.
MIMIC-III v1.4 was released on 2 September 2016. It was a major release enhancing data quality and providing a large amount of additional data for Metavision patients.
Issues addressed include:
- #88 - Text data sourced from drop down menus or “pick lists” has been added to the database for Metavision patients. Users interested in the exact concepts added can query them as follows:
select * from d_items
where linksto = 'chartevents'
and dbsource = 'metavision'
and param_type = 'Text'.
All data was added to the
charteventstable, increasing the raw (uncompressed) size of the datafile by 5 GB.
- #201 - Data in tables may now only occur within 1 year of a patient’s hospital admission
dischtime. Observations outside this range corresponded to typographical errors in the
charttime, and this unreliable data has been removed.
- #197 - A small issue where a single observation was duplicated and assigned to two
icustay_id(and sometimes two
hadm_id) has been corrected: this affected 37
hadm_id. Thanks @matteobonvini on GitHub for the report.
- #191 - A subset of patients were missing data due to the transition from CareVue to Metavision: this data has been restored.
- #193 - Some laboratory concepts (particularly CD counts) were conflated (i.e. percentages mixed with counts) - these have been corrected. Thanks Yuqi Si for the report (via StackExchange).
- #196 - The
inputevents_mvdid not correspond to
amountuom(unit of measurement) - instead it corresponded to a “base” unit (e.g. grams instead of milligrams). Data in the
amounthas been updated to match the
amountuomwhere appropriate. This also effected the
procedureevents_mvtable. Thanks @ngageorange on GitHub for the report.
- #198 - NULL values for character fields are now properly represented in the CSV file as empty fields with no double quotes. Database systems such as PostgreSQL will now recognize these fields as null when copying with the NULL “ qualifier.
- #199 - Addendums to discharge summaries in the notes can now be distinguished in the
categoryhas remained ‘Discharge summary’, but their description has been changed from ‘Report’ to ‘Addendum’
- #194 - The LOINC code for Total CO2 has been corrected (was 1959-6 total bicarb, is now 34728-6 total CO2)
- #186 - Data has been harmonized into EST.
- #180 - Some patients were erroneously labelled as in care unit
TSICU: these have been corrected to
- #189 - Schema change: The
admissionshas been removed as it was no longer meaningful.
- #185 - Three text concepts (GCS, code status, RASS) had a null
d_items, even though the data existed in
chartevents. This has been corrected. Note these were the only three text concepts available for Metavision patients in MIMIC-III v1.3 (see #88).
- #60 - The date shift for dates in the
noteeventshas been corrected: before it corresponded to a different date shifted used in MIMIC-II (easily identifiable by years occurring between 2500-3500). It now matches the dates in the structured data.
- #188 - Negative microbiology cultures are now recorded in
micriobiologyevents- negative cultures can be identified by a NULL value for the organism name (
Be sure to validate the checksum of the resultant file to ensure you have the correct version.
This section lists past versions in reverse chronological order.
MIMIC-III v1.3 was released on 10 December 2015. It was a minor release enhancing the consistency of the dataset.
Issues addressed include:
- #175 - A new value for
DRG_VERSIONwas added to the
DRGCODEStable to clarify why the same code matched to multiple descriptions.
- #174 - The
EDTIMEOUTcolumn was renamed to
ADMISSIONStable for consistency with other timestamp columns.
- #173 - The
UOMcolumn was renamed to
LABEVENTStables for consistency with other
- #172, #177 - Several careunit acronyms were merged in the
ICUSTAYStables for ease of interpretation.
- #168 - A set of
ITEMIDs in the
INPUTEVENTS_CVtable were inappropriately low (<30000), they have no been corrected.
- #167 - Duplicate radiology reports were removed from the
NOTEEVENTStable. These duplicates were present in the raw data.
- #166 - The
DBSOURCEcolumn was corrected from Metavision to CareVue for a set of patients in the
MIMIC-III v1.2 was released on 10 November 2015. MIMIC-III v1.2 was a major release providing both bug fixes and a large amount of additional data.
Major issues addressed, including additional data made available:
- #130 and #135 - Duplicate data in various events tables with
CGIDhas been removed
- #132 - Hospital expire flag was in the wrong table - now moved to
- #137 - The
ITEMIDfor input/output items has been properly shifted to range between 30000-40000. Previously it incorrectly ranged between 1-5000, and as a result did not match the dictionary entries in
- #141 -
STORETIMEhave been added to
NOTEEVENTS, if available. No times were available for ECG and echo reports (only the date).
- #144 - Dates of birth for patients > 89 are now shifted by 300 years for clarity.
- #151 - The time of emergency department registration and exit has been added to the admissions table, where available.
- #154 - A new table,
PROCEDUREEVENTS_MV, has been added. This table contains information regarding the start and stop time for various procedures for Metavision patients. Procedures include x-rays, ventilation, dialysis, and others.
- #158 - The
IOEVENTStable has been split into three tables:
INPUTEVENTS_CV(CareVue patients only),
INPUTEVENTS_MV(Metavision patients only), and
- #162 - 5,795,842 rows of data corresponding to yes/no answers have been added for Metavision patients
- #164 - 10,140 rows of “Non Iv meds” (e.g. vancomycin) have been added for Metavision patients
Minor issues addressed:
- #126 -
LINKORDERIDnow stored as
- #134 - The CR/LF characters which prefixed notes in
NOTEEVENTShave been removed
- #136 - The
VOLUMEcolumn in the events tables for inputs has been changed to
- #139 - The units for certain solution volumes, erroneously recorded as rate units, have been corrected
- #140 - The
ORIGINALAMOUNTcolumn no longer exists for rows with drug rates, only with drug volumes
- #148 - Removed
NOTEEVENTSas it was redundant
- #149 -
ICUSTAYEVENTShas been renamed
- #152 - The
ENDTIMEcolumns have been renamed
PRESCRIPTIONStable to reflect the lack of time information.
- #155 -
D_ITEMShas been corrected: now correctly refers to
- #156 - The
PROCEDURES_ICDhas been renamed
- #159 - A
CONCEPTIDcolumn has been added to D_ITEMS for future ontology mapping/data harmonization.
- #163 - The
CODEcolumn has been removed from
D_ITEMSas it was redundant to
MIMIC-III v1.1 was released on 24 September 2015. It was primarily a bug fix release, and addresses the following issues:
- #116 -
CGIDwas incorrect in the
NOTEEVENTStables. It has now been corrected.
- #117 -
VALUENUMfor GCS verbal response measurements has been corrected for Metavision (it was offset by -1).
- #118 -
VALUENUMfor all GCS measurements in CareVue is no longer null, and contains the appropriate value in the scale.
- #120 -
DODwas incorrectly set to
DOB- this has been fixed.
- #121 - IOEVENTS contained incorrect units for certain drugs (sometimes the unit was a rate when the actual observation was an amount, e.g. listed as “mcgkgmin” when it should have been “mg”).
- #122 -
ICUSTAYEVENTStables has been corrected - originally it only contained ‘metavision’ when a patient was in the ICU, so the same patient would be listed as ‘carevue’ when out of the ICU and ‘metavision’ when inside the ICU.
- #123 - Precision in the
IOEVENTStable has been fixed at 10 decimal places.
MIMIC-III v1.0 was released on 25 August 2015. It was a preliminary version and not widely publicized to allow for internal testing. As this was the first release of the database, and the successor of the MIMIC-II database, no changes are listed here. An overview of changes between MIMIC-II and MIMIC-III is provided here.